Sep 7, 2008

It's that time again!

Baby shower! I'm attending one next weekend for a good friend (who I'm 99% certain doesn't read this blog!), and I've been knitting my hands off to get ready for it. (This is the reason there haven't been too many yarns to post...that, and I'm still working on the dang merino/bamboo from last post!)

I dug into my stash, and found the Valley Yarns Superwash worsted weight wool I bought in every available shade of purple and pink. I have no real idea why I bought them originally, but it turns out that they were perfect for this project (with the exception of the hot pink and the light maroon--they just didn't fit in). I had an extra ball of the grape juice purple, so I decided the hat and the trim of the jacket would be made of that, and the rest would stripe. The hat is just a basic hat recipe with a ruffle thrown in on the edge (and some k2tog/yo eyelets). For the jacket, I used a modified version of a pattern from the Knitting Pattern-A-Day calendar and US7 needles. Boy, did it take longer than I expected, but I'm pretty happy with it.
It's not as bulbous as the picture makes it look. The cord is actually a 4 strand braid because I-cord in more than one color was too thick for the eyelets.

I have used snaps in the past for baby jackets, but I think I'll go to the store and get a lovely pink zipper. Wish me luck--I've never done a zipper before!

Don't you love how stripes make things look much more impressive? :)
I have no idea what size they are. I'm not that familiar with kids' clothing. I can tell it's bigger than newborn, because newborns are minuscule. I guess I'll just say I made it to fit her this winter "sometime" since she's being born in October. That should cover the bases, right?

2 comments:

Tia Colleen said...

I saw that there was a blog post about baby stuff, and I came running!!

Anonymous said...

The hat and sweater are adorable! Nicely done!