Jan 18, 2009

It's been a good day.

First, another picture of my Seester and her Starsky.

A hat made of St. Louis Cathedral's steeple

Today was quite lovely. We went for breakfast at Sun Flour Bagel in La Costa. It was most excellent. The owners are Japanese, and make truly wonderful bagels. However, their daughter has also trained at a baking school in Tokyo, and makes authentic Japanese confections three times weekly. They sell out quickly, and people come from as far away as Orange County and near the Mexican border for her goodies. She's currently in Japan, so we won't get to try the deliciousness till some time in February. If you click here, you can read an excellent review from a local foodie.

After the bagels (I had cranberry with plain cream cheese), we came home for a bit. We didn't know the baker was out of town yet, and returned to the bakery at 11 (when they begin selling the Japanese treats, normally). Since there were no melon rolls or cream buns to be had, we drove to the beach. If you're having terrible weather where you are, stop reading now so you don't reach through the computer to smack me.

We had an absolutely marvelous walk (yes Mom, with plenty of SPF 70 sunblock!). I think we walked about 3.6 miles total, though we stopped to peer at anemones, skip stones, and watch dogs playing fetch. My feet and ankles are pretty tired--you use entirely different muscles walking in the sand than on pavement! I have no pictures of my own--that's what happen when you forget the camera. We're going to try to do this weekly as long as the weather holds, so I'll take the camera next time. In the meantime, here is a shot from a fine Flickr photographer to give you an idea of where we were.

again, not my photo, but taken from precisely where we began walking today

Then we got some food. Big Man opted for a Burrito Bowl from his second home, Chipotle, and I, still full from breakfast, chose absolutely delicious chocolates from Chuao Chocolatier. They're a small local chocolate company, and I would love to be able to eat their bonbons every day. In case you're wondering, I very highly recommend the following flavors: Honey Truffle, Grignottine White, Romero, Pina Colada, Gianduja, Le Citron, Cambur, Musiu, and Melao. Strangely, that would just fill up their smallest box, should you wish to send some my way (though, it's probably easier for me to just go to the store than for you to send them!). We also tried their seasonal flavor today, Candy Cane. It was dark chocolate filled with a peppermint infused caramel. I thought it was good, but Big Man said it was the best chocolate he'd ever eaten.

When we were home before the second bakery trip, I spun this little number quite quickly. Sadly, the commercial novelty yarn I chose to do this with appears to be discontinued, but I intend to dig up some more because it was so wonderful and easy! This shot is on my niddy noddy, as it's always more fun to spin the yarn than wind it or set the twist.

acrylic/polyester commercial novelty yarn plied with commercially dyed black merino--silky soft!

I also spun some handdyed bamboo this past week. It's a lovely colorway I intend to call Mother of Pearl, for fairly obvious reasons. I have about 8 other colorways (a pound each!) I've never spun before, so I need to get cracking on those too!

8oz handdyed bamboo from Fiber Lady; no yardage yet as I haven't set the twist

I haven't spun bamboo in ages, and found myself getting it very fine unintentionally. The twist also isn't quite what I wanted. Additionally, while I don't mind the fuzzy rustic look, I'd love to know how to do a silky-smooth finish. I'm spinning from combed top--any suggestions?

And, because I know what you actually want are more shots of the Little Grey Cat herself, here you go. She was really having a stressful morning, as you can tell.

note the stretched paw and the tail tip peeking out right in the middle of the photo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor stressed kitty! It's a tough life she leads.

BECAUSE our weather is crap, I want to see more sunny beach photos, not less. What a wonderful walk you must have had.