Jul 19, 2008

Not feeling it...

You ever have those times when you don't feel like working on your chosen craft? When you spend all week just blobbed on the couch watching movies and falling asleep? Well, I've been having one of those for some reason, and I intend to change it today. I'm going to pick up a little in here (my craft/computer/guest bedroom) and spin my butt off. Well, at least a couple of skeins, anyway. I think some bamboo needs to be spun, and some yarns for a custom order, and perhaps a Hobbledehoy batt (I've got a couple of good ones stashed!).

In related news, I got myself an Ashford Country Spinner


which I haven't even unpacked because I don't want to be tempted to use it without finishing it first. I just know that if I put it together and use it without finishing it, I will never want to take it apart to apply stains/waxes/oils/whatever I decide to use. Did I mention that though it only has a ratio of 4:1, the bobbin (which I have unpacked) can hold 2.2 POUNDS OF YARN?!?!?!?!?! Did I mention that? How insane is that? Just to give you an idea of size--
  • the center portion of the bobbin reminds me of a slightly thinner rolling pin
  • the entire bobbin is about 9.5" long and weighs 1lb, 9oz with no yarn on it
  • I'm pretty sure I could knock you out cold with it, should I care to do so
It's a *massive* bobbin. The wheel itself is about the size of my Sonata, but the bobbin is something to be reckoned with! I'm excited to finally get to use it. I'm emailing back and forth with Lee Valley Tools to choose a simple non-toxic finish that's also easy to use. I guess I better go order something so I can use my wheel by next weekend, eh?

2 comments:

Vivian said...

I can totally relate. Except I'm reading blogs instead of vegging on the couch :)

Great blog! Love all the photos.

Anonymous said...

I get into moods like that, too. Like yesterday's slug fest. I'm very intrigued by your new wheel. I've got the jumbo bobbin and flyer for my Ashford traditional but I'm starting a big spinning project that I'd really like to have as one continuous piece of yarn. The jumbo bobbin only holds about 8 oz. or so.