Oct 8, 2008

Terrible beauty

While I'm fairly certain (which is only somewhat, as there's never any way of knowing for sure) that we won't be in any danger here, there are some folks catching hell on earth a few miles north of me.



I just took these while standing in my apartment complex parking lot. They're not retouched in any way, and were shot with approximately a 1.6 second exposure.

I'm told by newspaper websites that the fire is completely on Camp Pendleton, which is 6 miles north of me as the fire burns. However, while I admit I'm no expert on estimating distances, this seems awfully close--perhaps my judgement is just aggravated by fear of the unknown and anxiety. Be assured, the breeze was blowing steadily against my back as I took these--if it holds steady, good news for those of us in my town, bad news for folks in places north of me. A wonderful man is detailing things over at
his blog, so please check it out for more info than you can find on either the San Diego Union-Tribune or the North County Times websites.

1 comment:

cserdan said...

tag!!!! you're it.

www.cserdan.blogspot.com

hope the winds are at your back today :)